Looking to bring the cinema experience right to your living room? Investing in and installing an home theater systems are well worth it! Imagine enjoying movies with top-notch quality without leaving your cozy space.
Nowadays, the market is flooded with various options when it comes to home theater systems. But don’t worry, I’ve got you covered. I’ve gathered all the essential info you need to know about the technical aspects of a home cinema system.
And that’s not all! I’ll even introduce you to the crème de la crème of home theater systems—the 5 best ones that have received rave reviews from satisfied customers. Get ready to elevate your movie nights with the ultimate home theater experience!
Table of Contents for Best Home Theater System Buying Guide
- 1. Sony BDV-E2100 5.1 Blu-ray Home Theater System
- 2. Samsung HW-M450
- 3. Logitech Z906 3D stereo speaker THX
- 4. Jamo S 628 HCS 5.0 home theater system
- Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V home theater speaker system
- Buying Guide
- Criteria to consider when choosing a home theater system
- Frequently asked questions
1. Sony BDV-E2100 5.1 Blu-ray Home Theater System
A particularly popular home cinema system, which is rated very well by customers of the online shop Amazon, comes from the renowned Japanese manufacturer Sony and is described with the model name BDV-E2100. This is a modern 5.1 Blu-ray home cinema system from the entry-level area, which can still be considered for the majority of consumers.
In addition to a Full HD 3D Blu-Ray player, the package also includes four satellite speakers and a subwoofer . So you benefit from an extensive set that can be put into operation directly. It is also particularly interesting that the wireless connectivity is available. You can set up connections in the home network either via Bluetooth or via WiFi and NFC. This makes it easy for you to access many different streaming services with your mobile devices, such as a smartphone or tablet.
The 800 W 5.1 surround sound ensures an excellent home entertainment experience and unforgettable movie evenings. As the name suggests, this system consists of four satellite speakers and a subwoofer that can be set up individually in the room. The compact features of the speakers and the practical NFC one-touch sharing are further advantages of this system. Sony also includes a remote control.
As an added bonus, this system is also compatible with Amazon Instant Video. If you use this streaming service, you shouldn’t have any problems using it.
Sony also supports the practical operation with the smartphone with this system. All you have to do is download the free TV SideView app, which turns your smartphone into a modern remote control with many functions.
2. Samsung HW-M450
The South Korean manufacturer Samsung is not only the most popular brand when it comes to high-quality smartphones, but is also represented in the field of home theater products. Especially the set with the Samsung HW-M450 soundbar, which offers a total of 320 W of power, is really impressive and is suitable for many consumers who want to operate a home theater in a small room.
So if you require a very compact soundbar, you will not make any mistakes with this model from Samsung. The included subwoofer, which is also of good quality, ensures a 360 ° sound. The manufacturer also specifies the general output power as a total of 320 W, which is a 2.1 system that can generate virtual surround sound.
You can also expect all modern variants in terms of connectivity. Samsung not only supports Bluetooth, but also USB, HDMI and AUX. The ONE Control system is also available as a special feature, which offers various advantages. In particular, streaming music via Bluetooth can be ensured by you very easily and within a few seconds. So enjoy your music from your smartphone in the best possible audio quality.
To make operation even easier, you should download the free Samsung Audio Remote app onto your smartphone. This makes it completely uncomplicated for various sources and electronic devices to be connected to the loudspeaker.
3. Logitech Z906 3D stereo speaker THX
As an alternative to the home theater systems already presented, you might consider a variant of the Logitech brand, which is available at a particularly low price and supports 3D stereo sound with a maximum output of up to 1000 W. This package is wonderfully suited to be operated in combination with a television. The loudspeakers can also be conveniently integrated into various modern living room furnishings.
The manufacturer specifies a total output of 500 W, so you can ensure a real cinema feeling in terms of sound quality and thanks to the 3D option. A certification of the THX brand is also available as a special feature. This ensures that the sound sounds exactly as it was actually designed by the creators.
In order to be able to connect various electronic devices to this receiver, several inputs are available. Up to six components can be combined with it, such as televisions, Blu-Ray players, recorders or even game consoles and stereo systems.
You can therefore ensure a particularly moving sound in cinema quality, with a wireless remote control also available. This must be equipped with a total of three AAA batteries in order to guarantee the connections and particularly convenient operation.
The practical operating console, which is equipped with an easy-to-read display, also offers various advantages in practice. It is therefore easily possible, for example, to regulate the volume or to switch on and off in the classic way. If you wish, you can also define all inputs here and edit various other setting options.
4. Jamo S 628 HCS 5.0 home theater system
The home cinema system with the model designation S 628 HCS from the well-known manufacturer Jamo could also be suitable for you, provided you require a real professional device, which convinces with a 3-way bass reflex and some other functions and advantages.
A side radiating woofer will be sent to your home, which, thanks to its design, has a positive effect on the system efficiency and the general quality of the bass reproduction. The wave guide is also very interesting in this context, which guarantees even dispersion in very critical frequency ranges.
This home cinema system is the absolute flagship model within the studio series from this manufacturer. You can therefore rely on particularly high quality. This home cinema system also scores with its classic design. As an option, you can get a wooden version in a classic look, although more subtle variants are also available for you.
Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V home theater speaker system
With the Acoustimass 10 Series V Home Cinema Speaker System from the manufacturer Bose, users receive surround sound from five speakers. According to the provider, the room-filling top sound impresses with its powerful bass. Even at a high volume, there should be no audible distortion. Most users should also get their money’s worth when it comes to design. Despite the compact design, this home cinema system should convince with strong sounds. According to Bose, the system is suitable for medium-sized rooms without specifying this in square meters.
For this model, Bose relies on its proprietary Acoustimass model with two drivers. This system should be characterized above all by powerful bass. The speaker system has a control for the volume and for deep bass effects. All necessary accessories such as cables and connections are included in the scope of delivery.
Users can use the Bose Acoustimass 10 Series V home cinema speaker system with an HD television. According to the manufacturer, installation flush with the wall with optional brackets is possible. It is also possible to place this sound system behind a sofa or a curtain so that it does not catch the eye.
As a big film fan, you will certainly go to the cinema regularly to see the latest blockbusters. But with the help of modern media, such as DVDs or Blu-Rays as well as streaming, it is completely uncomplicated that you can watch the latest films and also classics from film history comfortably in your personal home theater.
In order to get the same feeling as in a cinema, high-quality home theater systems are recommended for you. These technology packages are made up of a wide variety of products, such as a Blu-Ray player , a speaker system and a few other things, with the individual composition differing from one another depending on the package and manufacturer as well as price class.
With this purchase advice, we want to support you so that there is a high probability that you will find exactly the right home theater system. We not only go into detail about important equipment features, but also the basic advantages that a home theater system offers, and we also answer the most frequently asked questions by consumers regarding this product group.
What are the advantages of a modern home cinema system for you?
This is what you should pay attention to:
Basically, with a well-equipped home cinema system, you not only ensure particularly high image resolution, but also good surround sound . This is especially important when you remember your last visit to a cinema. Here you could see that the sound comes from all directions and thus results in a real three-dimensional experience. With the technology of a suitable home cinema system, you can also bring this effect into your own four walls, which is particularly practical.
If you decide on a home cinema system, you can also look forward to a large screen diagonal and, depending on the version, the 21: 9 format that is used in cinemas. Perfectly coordinated, the individual components of a home cinema – i.e. a projector or television, a screen as well as speakers, sound system and playback device – result in a good symbiosis.
In summary, it can be said that home theater systems offer various practical advantages. In addition to a large and particularly sharp TV picture, you also benefit from spatial sound, which can be breathtaking depending on the quality of the speakers and sound system. The same applies to the 3D technology that modern Blu-Ray players ensure.
In order to create the perfect cinema feeling, you should pay particular attention to the quality of the speakers when choosing a home theater system. This is the only way to feel “right in the middle instead of just there”.
- The sound system of a home theater: As we have already mentioned, you should opt for the highest possible sound system in your home theater system. It is particularly important that this audio device supports the modern formats Dolby Digital and DTS. Loudspeakers are often integrated into projectors. However, due to their design, these do not have the technical requirements to ensure a particularly good sound. Because of this, it is worthwhile for all consumers to commit to an external sound system in your home theater system.
- Classic soundbars in a home cinema system: The first option for this is a classic soundbar. This offers the advantage of a compact design, so that there does not have to be too much space for this technical device. Such an audio solution is usually best suited for smaller rooms in particular, although entry-level models are also available for less than $100, and they also offer good sound.
- Surround system in a home cinema: Compared to the soundbars already mentioned, with a modern surround system you are usually a little better equipped to provide comprehensive surround sound in your own four walls. Such a system consists of a subwoofer and several loudspeakers. These are then distributed in the room according to the manufacturer’s specifications and connected to one another, with modern systems also having wireless connectivity. The number of active loudspeakers in these systems also indicates the general product title. Systems of this type are often offered in stores as 5.1, 3.1 and 7.1 variants. Depending on the size of the room, different versions are recommended for you. However, you have to expect higher purchase prices for particularly high-quality models compared to the aforementioned soundbar.
- The playback device: In order to be able to play films or series , your home theater system must have a playback device. After the DVD was replaced by the Blu-Ray a few years ago, only the Blu-Ray players can be recommended for you. In this context, however, pay attention to your personal film collection so that it can still be ensured that your Blu-Ray player can also play older DVDs, for example. So there is nothing standing in the way of film evenings with real film classics.
As a further extra, modern playback devices also support a recorder function. This means that you are always able to independently record films or the current television program. If such a function is particularly relevant to you, please check in advance of the purchase decision whether the respective home theater system supports this feature.
Criteria to consider when choosing a home theater system
After we have already explained the advantages and the individual components of a home cinema system to you above, we now come to the relevant equipment features with which such a package should be distinguished. Depending on the individual requirements and the size of the room, however, you may have to make compromises or also observe the recommendations that we have shown you.
The connections naturally play an important role in connecting all the components of a home cinema system with one another and in retrospectively expanding the set according to your own specifications. However, if you decide on a package from a specific manufacturer, the compatibility and connectivity of the individual items with each other is already 100% guaranteed, so you don’t have to worry about this. In principle, however, it is recommended that the various connection options with other devices are available. USB and HDMI connections should definitely be available.
- Network connectivity
Nowadays, modern home theater devices can often be connected wirelessly, for example to use streaming services of all kinds. This applies primarily to the speaker systems or soundbars that you commit to. In such a case, you benefit from a wireless connection via WLAN to the router or via Bluetooth. This is definitely recommended if you require the most convenient possible access to your technical devices.
Home theater systems for specific target groups
The overview below will definitely help you to find the most suitable home cinema system for you. We have broken down certain home cinema systems based on the size of the room and the individual requirements of specific target groups.
- Home cinema systems for small rooms: If you only have a small living room and still want to use a home cinema system, particularly inexpensive versions will do very well. You can also choose smaller versions of the sound system, such as a compact 3.1 system, which is already available for you at a very low price. Under certain circumstances, a projector with a suitable screen is not recommended for small rooms , but a sufficiently large television that can then be combined with a home cinema system.
- Home cinema systems for large living rooms: If you have more space available, a modern projector is recommended for you. This means that a cinema-like format can be achieved if a suitable projector is used. In such a case, you should plan at least $500 for a high-quality home theater system that you will enjoy for a long time.
- Home cinema systems for your own cinema room: Numerous cinema fans and film lovers dream of a cinema room. This is implemented by some consumers, for example in a hobby room, so that this room can primarily be used as a cinema. A lot of space is available here so that a large screen can be set up. In combination with the audio system, 5.1 or 7.1 variants are recommended for you in order to be able to provide the desired 360-degree sound. So if you are planning a home cinema system in your own cinema room, you should plan a little more money for it.
Frequently asked questions
1. How much money does a good home theater system cost?
Of course, the costs differ depending on the home theater system. There are particularly inexpensive packages for beginners to buy, with real hardware for professionals also available, which is often offered at four-digit prices.
The biggest points that affect the prices of home theater systems are the size of the projectors and the quality of the sound system and speakers.
While individual systems or soundbars are available from $250 and are of good quality, fully equipped packages cost at least $500, provided they can no longer be assigned to the entry-level segment.
So weigh up your individual ideas regarding the audio quality in the room. Under certain circumstances, a package from the entry-level or mid-range is much better for you.
2. Where can you buy high quality home theater systems?
A home theater system can of course be bought from different dealers. You will usually always find what you are looking for in classic electronics shops such as MediaMarkt and Saturn. However, it is always recommended that you carry out an individual price comparison in order to always ensure that you will always benefit from the best conditions.
Personal research on the Internet is then a good choice. So use a price comparison of your choice or strike at renowned online shops, whereby the provider Amazon should be mentioned in particular.
Above we have linked our selection of the 9 best home theater systems to the Amazon online shop. So you will be forwarded directly to this dealer and if you are interested you can strike immediately, provided that a home theater system of your choice is an option for you.
3. What are the most common audio formats in a home theater?
Nowadays, a wide variety of sound formats have established themselves in the home theater segment and on the manufacturer’s market. These include the formats Dolby Digital, Dolby TrueHD, DTS and DTS HD Master Audio and DTS-HD . As a rule, the player of your choice that you have chosen supports such a format. So there shouldn’t be any problems if you want to play films or series and one of these common audio formats is available.
4. Which transmission type should be selected in a modern home theater system?
In this context, HDMI should always be used. However, it is always recommended that you do not buy the cheapest HDMI cable. Especially with cheap HDMI cables that are a good 10 m long, connection problems often arise that must be avoided. These inexpensive cables usually do not offer adequate shielding , a solid inner conductor and high-quality contacts. Finally, a signal that is as loss-free as possible should be ensured over a large distance from these cables.
5. Can home theater systems also be rented?
Yes. Nowadays there are also some online shops that offer an optional rental service. This means that you can rent this audio equipment for a specified period of time. The mail order company Otto is currently trying out such a range of services on the market. You also benefit from the advantage that you can purchase the home theater system at a lower price during the rental period.